and Environmental magnetism
purpose of the paleomagnetic studies at our laboratory is
to aid in solving various geological
problems by means of the paleomagnetic and
rock magnetic information recorded in geological
materials. We work in close collaboration
with researchers in tectonics, sedimentology,
stratigraphy, volcanology and archaeology,
and attribute to following fields:
2. Tectonic applications (regional
and local tectonic movements and rotations).
3. Magnetostratigraphy (stratigraphic
correlations and dating).
4. Archaeomagnetism (age dating
of archaeological sites).
for environmental magnetism in our laboratory has three principal
1. To discriminate the source of toxic heavy
metals in soils, lake sediments, atmospheric
particulate matters and urban roadside
dusts based on the magnetic properties.
2. To outline the extent of contaminated
area around the potential source of pollution
(e.g., power plant, airport, shooting area
for military forces and metalworking industry) using
the magnetic susceptibility measurements.
3. To delineate the source area of the Asian
Dust (Yellow dust) which has exert a bad influence
on atmospheric environments in Seoul.
Exploration (Environmental Geophysics)
the well-known geophysical methods, we mainly employ seismic
refraction, DC resistivity
and magnetic methods to survey following
1. Environmentally hazardous sites
- We focus on DC resistivity method
to survey the leakage extent of waste deposit and the
infiltrated range of sea water into ground
2. Constructing sites of tunnel and/or
- We survey subsurface structures
such as continuity of fractures and depth of fresh base rock,
using seismic refraction method.
3. Archaeological remains
- Magnetic survey makes it possible
to detect relatively narrow area of the buried archaeological
remains from the wide field.